Mauritius, officially the Republic of Mauritius, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean 2,000 kilometres off the southeast coast of the African continent. Port Louis is the Mauritian capital as well as the administrative and financial capital.
Some of the key benefits of incorporating and setting up a merchant account in Mauritius are:
- Mauritius boasts of one of the best economies in Africa.
- The presence of all the major international banks, with a diversified set of merchant account offerings.
- The speed of incorporation & simplicity of procedures.
- A business-friendly environment with a simplified tax system;
- High literacy, producing a capable and skilled workforce including qualified accountants and lawyers;
- Mauritius has modern legislative and regulatory frameworks that are transparent and flexible.
- Double taxation avoidance agreements (DTAAs), currently with 41 countries of which 14 are with African countries, and more in the process of being negotiated or signed. A comprehensive network of Investment Promotion and Protection Agreements (IPPA) for protection against expropriation and nationalisation;
- Mauritius is very flexible for cross-border transactions. Foreigners can incorporate companies fairly easily and there is a variety of offshore banking facilities available.
- An excellent network of internal and external communications infrastructure, including well-maintained roads, modern and efficient ports, an extension of the airport with new terminals, high-band fibre connectivity, mobile telephone networks and express courier services.